Youth Performance Company empowers youth and
inspires social change through BOLD theatre.
Youth Performance Company (YPC), a world class, award-winning theatre, develops and empowers young actors, singers and dancers to reach their artistic potential and become community leaders. Young artists participate in all aspects of creating cutting-edge performances, including writing, directing, building sets and designing costumes. Many of YPC’s artists have gone on to professional careers in the arts or have used their experiences to become leaders in our community.
Families from all over the Twin Cities have come to rely on the fresh and exciting mainstage shows that are produced each season by YPC. In addition, kids from kindergarten through high school enroll in YPC’s classes in acting, singing, dancing, improv, and stage combat.
Artistic Director Jacie Knight founded Youth Performance Company in 1989 with a firm belief that young people are capable of artistic excellence. She had a vision that teens and young adults could have a voice in the creative process, become empowered as leaders, and produce theatre with the highest standards of artistic excellence. YPC continues to keep young artists center stage while holding professional artistic quality as a measure of success.
Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity –
- We celebrate diversity and encourage the preservation of cultural identity.
- We strive for cultural competence in a rapidly changing multicultural world to be inclusive of race, religion, sex, gender, socioeconomic status, age, ability/disability, language, national origin, and more.
- We embrace and value diversity and inclusion as integral to our socially relevant artistic process.
Theatrical Excellence –
- We advocate the arts are fundamental to human development.
- We create safe spaces for young artists from all backgrounds to explore their potential, work to create innovative live theater experiences, reach across boundaries and develop valuable life skills.
- We pursue the highest standards of equity and ethics in all activities.
- We expect our artists to use their experiences to become leaders in our community.
- We develop new work as a response to relevant issues in our community.
- We develop meaningful and authentic relationships with young artists and our community.
- We offer accessibility and affordability in family-friendly programming